Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    ..... that you have experienced?

    Have you heard better for less money?
    Last edited by mah; July 8th, 2014 at 04:04 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    I hate my Altecs

    I haven't heard all that many different setups yet. Really looking forward to hearing some Model 19s in a well-treated room. But I will say that recently, I've been providing the sound for our neighborhood block parties with my 604 in a thrown-together 612 clone cabinet. For a mono, single speaker cabinet, it pushes some outdoor SPLs (with very respectable SQ) that really impresses the neighbors!

    604e.jpg
    - Mike

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    I wish you had used a word other than "accurate".

    While i am preferential to many Altecs, and Altec component based systems, they are not the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions "accurate" loudspeakers.

    IMO, an accurate loudspeaker in most cases is NOT what i want to listen to for extended periods. There are several Altecs that i can listen to indefinitely, with great pleasure.

    Case in point, my Westlake monitors are clinically accurate. On the right recordings they have presented some of the cleanest medium/high level playback i have ever heard. On any lesser recording they make the caveats stick out like a pumpkin in a watermelon patch. I have just completed my final modification/room treatment for them.

    Shipping crates!

    crate1 zpsf805ebc4
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I wish you had used a word other than "accurate".
    Yeah, I started to post that “of the many systems I've auditioned, I consider 'Altec' and 'accurate' to be mutually exclusive, same as virtually all consumer speaker systems regardless of price”, but figured it would generate more ‘grief’ than I have time for right now.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    Why anguish over it? I have 19s and 604/620s and I have never considered whether I'm getting the most accurate sound. It's not and I don't care.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    So why is accurate the goal? You are going to put them on a set of inaccurate ears. A set that compensates for your ears may be a better choice....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member 604man's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2009
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    I hate my Altecs

    I haven't heard all that many different setups yet. Really looking forward to hearing some Model 19s in a well-treated room. But I will say that recently, I've been providing the sound for our neighborhood block parties with my 604 in a thrown-together 612 clone cabinet. For a mono, single speaker cabinet, it pushes some outdoor SPLs (with very respectable SQ) that really impresses the neighbors!

    604e.jpg
    I would put the 604 on stands at ear level and against a wall for better projection
    .......GC

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Most Accurate(HiFi) Altec Loudspeaker System ....

    Yup and I'm sure if they were still around today they would be quite expensive as well Agreed...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.